Daniel Earl MacKay's Stuff
If you're thinking of visiting, here's a map of Nova Scotia.
- Aug '14: My new instrument - a Moog Etherwave theremin
- Jun '12: I say hello to my "new" 1990 charcoal Pacific Coast
- Jun '12: I say goodbye to my 1996 red Pacific Coast
- Jan '12: Stephen Kimber's history of the Internet in Atlantic Canada, A Brief Shining Moment, with lots of stuff about me, published.
- Jan '12: Dan gets the 2012 ISCANS Lifetime Achievement Award
- Dec '11: Christmas letter 2011
- Jun '11: Gabe and my first vehicle together - a 1976 Cygnet trailer
- Feb '11: St John's United Church bells -- photos taken in the early '00s
- Dec '10: Christmas letter '10
- Jul '10: Gabe & Dan's big summer motorcycle trip
- Jul '10: Mount for my iPhone on the PC800
- Jul '10: Family camping in Blomidon
- May '10: Family camping to Kejimkujik Park
- Dec '09: Gabe and I visit our childhood homes
- Jun '09: I write up the rules for the Idea Cauldron, a system for managing ideas from
participants in a project.
- May '09: Cirque de Soleil — Alegria
- Feb '09: A menu from Coombes Drug Store And Tea Room, ca. 1930
- Jan '09: Bent Vinyl Candy Bowl
- Dec '08: Mike Spencer's Six Seasons In Nova Scotia.
- Nov '08: A small poster extolling the virtues of ISO 8601: "Please consider the 12h time to be a relic from the dark ages when Roman numerals were used, the number zero had not yet been invented, and analog clocs were the only known form of displaying a time."
- Oct '08: Dan gets a Community Hero Award from NSRAP
- Jun '08: Trip to the US Northeast
- May '08: Dan buys a very old Winnebago!
- Jan '08: The Oldtimers Hockey Challenge --
- Jan '08: House Furnace Data - home built house monitoring system including home-made anemometer!
- Nov '07: I'm producer for the Internet 25th Birthday Levee!
- Nov 10th '07: Some microphotography
- Nov 4th '07: Waves at Peggy's Cove after Post Tropical Storm Noel!
- Oct '07: Cidering!
- Aug '07: Dan gets a new-to-me Olympus E-300 camera!
here are some time exposure shots around Halfiax with it.
- Jul'07: Dan and Mike and Jim Day from Hawaii go on the Perfect Eastern Shore Drive
- Mar '07: Using Postits to make frequently changing system diagrams
- Jan '07: Mike and I make a Murphy bed in the
- Dec '06: New (to me) TEAC X2000 Reel To Reel Tape Deck gets pride of place in the entertainment centre.
- Dec '06: Christmas letter '06
- October '06: New (to me) '91 Volvo 740
(sold September 2011). Also, the house behind it is now all mine. Norval moved a few blocks away to the MacDonald building.
- July '06: Halifax Pride 2006
- 15 June '05: Zara's eigth birthday party
- 15 Dec '05: Tim sends pics of our Christmas Party.
- 10 Dec '05: Brother Gary sends some pics from Ko Samet Island in Thailand
- 30 Oct '05: Dan's Company Hockey game social in the Metro Centre ExecutiveLounge - Rouyn-Noranda 7 vs. Moosheads, 3: the group and Dan
- Sept-Oct '05: London, Prague & Poland
- Aug '05: Dan and Norval (unsuccessfully) cat-sit Elizabeth
- July '05: Halifax Pride 2005
- July '05: Dan Birthday 2005
I was born during a total eclipse of the sun - see
http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEmap/SEmapNA/TSENorAm1951.gif ... the eclipse sweeps over southern NS where I was born.
- July '05: Dan has lunch with Rosie O'Donnell and the mayor
- March '05: Costa Rica
- Jan '05: N's Christmas amaryllis blooms
- Dec '04: Norval's short Christmas Letter
- Sept '04: Mermaid & Cow Campground slideshow added
- Aug '04: Joe & his pup at his 28th birthday party at Deb's
- July '04: Halifax Pride 2004 Pics
- July '04: a few art pics added to the scrapbook of our buddy Dean
- July '04: Crystal Crescent Beach pics added
- June '04: Nova Scotia Weather Forecast
- May '04: For my family only: Mother's Day
- Mar '04: For everyone: Costa Rica!
- Feb '04: White Juan Record Breaking Snowstorm
- Nov '03: Norval's Christmas letter '03
- October '03: Norval and Dan go to Europe
- October '03: New to us '98 Volvo S70 T5
- September '03: My Dad buys a camper
- July '03: Biiiiig slideshow from my biiiig
motorcycle trip across Canada!
- April '03: My Aunt (and godmother) Mayme, who did all the research
for our branch of
the MacKay Genealogy died.
Here are some pics from that day.
- April '03: A Featherweight Convertable!
- February 25th, 2003: Goodbye Dalhousie! Dan gets fired! yaaahh hooo!!
- Jan '03: Mike's 37th birthday
- Jan '03: SS Aquitania artifacts at the Museum
- Nov '02: lil^bear gets his appendix out
- Nov '02: Ania and Lukasz gave N a
1927 map of Bytom, Poland (Germany at the time) and Dan got it
framed for N's birthday.
- Nov '02: Pics taken by our German friend Frank
during his visit in October
- Nov '02: A self-pic of me at 21
and had just gotten a new beautiful Olympus OM-1 as a Christmas
gift from my brother Gary. Taken on Kodachrome, and "scanned"
by pointing the Sony DSC-P1 digital camera at the slide projector
- Oct '02: Dan is inaugural Director of Membership Services for
Halifax's next repertory cinema, the
- Aug '02: Newfoundland Motorcycle Trip
- Jun '02: Stopped in Oxford on the way back from PEI for Father's Day
and saw a guy washing the giant
- Jun '02: We make neoprene costumes
for "Gummi" night at the bar.
- May '02: Cape Breton Lobster Fishing Trip
- Mar '02: A squash seed comes in from the compost pile with an avocado seed, grows and blooms in the spare bedroom
- Mar '02: Dan in the palatial new space in the Killam
- Dec '01: Norval's Christmas Letter '01
- Feb '17: My vacuum coffee pots
- Jul '02: Crystal Crescent Beach
- Sep '01: Bob and Dave's Farm
- Sep '01: GNG Camping Weekend Album
- Aug '01: Camp It Up 2001
- Aug '01: Clam Harbour Sand Sculpture Competition
- Jun '01: Dan's new coffee mug,
a Dewar Flask, that is, a Thermos, but nonsilvered, a piece of art
made by the Dalhousie glassblower, Jurgen. Scotch and soda, not
coffee, is its offering in this pic. :-)
- Apr '01: Dan collects another Featherweight!
- Mar '01: Brother Gary gives me a beautiful
Sony DSC P1 digital camera!!
- Mar '01: Brother Gary ca. '74
- Jan '01: On Dec 31 we made party hats!
- Jan '01: Norval's Christmas Letter '00
- Jan '01: Mike blowing out candles on his birthday "cake"
- Jun '01: Dan & Mike's chainsaw
- Jun '01: Dan's Pride Upholstery Job
- Jun '01: Mike, Dan & Norval in PEI
- Apr '01: Mike on Dan's bike, taken
from the back of Norval's bike on a ride to Noel Shore
- Dec '00: Norval, Mike, Dan & Larry
watching Queer As Folk
- Dec '00: N in the kitchen
- Dec '00: Dan with kilt & instrument
- Dec '00: Mike gettin' clean
- Sep '00: Liverpool Toy Run a collage of three
pics of Mike, Dan & Norval on the bikes.
- Aug '00: Three Pacific Coasts,
Norval's, mine, and a NS woman's we met on the way back from
the Clam Harbour Sand Sculpture Competition with
Mike and Kevin.
- Jun '00: Joe & the Bodun coffeepot
- Sometime in 2000: Wilson Hodder's funeral and ash
- Jun '00: lil^bear Mike.
- Jun '00: Earl gave me my late mom's Singer Featherweight sewing
machine. I'm fascinated by this marvel of 1930s technology.
Here's a pic and a few words about it.
- Jan '00: We wrecked the '86 Volvo 744 on Boxing Day on black ice.
We replaced it with an identical one, same year, same model,
here's a pic of the "new" car.
A year later we got it painted and it looked like
- Nov '99: Norval's 50th birthday cabaret
- Jul '99: Portraits by Denise: Joe and Joe and Denise.
- Jun '99: My father and Eileen bought and moved to a house in PEI, just north of Kensington. Here is a picture of the front and back.
- Oct '98: Zara the polydactylous calico, a new addition to the family.
- Apr '99: New kilt, Bonny Prince Charlie jacket and accessories.
Hey, isn't that the Black Watch tartan?
No, but you do have a good
eye for tartans! MacKay Modern looks very similar to Black
Watch Modern. Here are
the MacKay tartans, and here are
the Black Watch tartans.
- Jan '99: Mike and Phil at the Prudential Building in Boston, New Years Day
- Oct '98: Norval & Dan & the cycles.
- Oct '98: Me on my "new" 1996 Honda Pacific Coast.
- Jaws, a
Norval Morrisseau serigraph, No. 33/54, c. 1974, beautiful birthday
gift from my Norval.
- Aug '98: Norval, Wolf & Dan @ Clam Harbour Beach
- Summer '98: Norval, Joe & Dan in the Daily News
- Feb '98: Joe at N's office party, Feb '98
- Jun '95: (approx) My Dad with the strip-and-fibreglas canoe he made for me
- Aug '92: (approx) On my Honda Helix, dressed to kill (by Astrid Brunner) for a high school reunion
- 1960s: My name cast in hot type metal at the Shelburne Coast Guard
Some poetry that found me
Coming to Halifax? We love company! Write us a note, address below.
Write us @ email@example.com